New Member in need of mates!

This is the place to introduce yourself to the club online and ask any questions about where to start.
This forum is open to guests.

Moderator: Committee Member

thom.milburn
Registered Guest
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 7

New Member in need of mates!

Post by thom.milburn »

Hi guys, i'm new here so bear with me!

I'm Thom, 23, grew up in Gilesgate, now live in Willington (this is sounding like a dating add...) and have studied a degree in Outdoor Education in South Wales for the past 3 years.
I have aspirations to become an outdoor instructor although i'm a little way off! I'm TCL, CWA (+ abseil) and BEL qualified with ML and SPA training. Obviously i will be looking to progress quite a bit in the next year so that i can start building a career!

This brings me to why i've joined the site, and hopefully the club! I don't know many people at all in the North East who take part in mountain sports, and really would like to meet people who climb and walk regularly. I have NO confidence when trad climbing even though i have done plenty - i just do not have the experience in set-ups to feel happy. For this reason im hoping some of you guys may take ne under your wing and help me gain that critical experience!

If its any consolation, i am a VERY keen sport climber and i enjoy a spot of bouldering but don't climb particularly hard (F.6b+ - V4).
Also a very keen cyclist, however unfortunately i am wheel-less at the moment due to my financial situation. I had to sell my on-on 456C to rent a place in Wales.

Anyway - a rather long intro but i hope some of you guys may be willing to help me out, and forge a few friendships along the way.

I do drive (own a VW T4 Transporter i'm converting into a camper) so am happy to drive if it means someone can get me out there :mrgreen:

Look forward to meeting you guys!

Thom

P.s - if anyone knows of any pool sessions where i may be able to continue learning to roll (with boats available) please let me know! I am mostly hopeless!
Alex36
Registered Guest
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 2

Re: New Member in need of mates!

Post by Alex36 »

Tyne valley canoe club do pool sessions Friday night at prudhoe pool.
Check out their website

If you want to get out on the water give me a shout. If you want to do a river rolling session I'm sure I can help too
phil
Committee Member
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 0

Post by phil »

Hi Thom, Like the into.

The climbers will be at the local indoor walls over the winter on most Tuesday evenings (check the calendar for venue), you are welcome to tag along, there are usually a few members with DMS T shirts so you can spot them! If the weather good, then there will be the odd day climbing. We hold a pub night on the first Tuesday of the month at the Tap & Splie from 8pm, thats a good way to meet people and get you name down for a trip away.

Phil
thom.milburn
Registered Guest
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 7

Post by thom.milburn »

Cheers guys, good to have a couple of replies so quickly.

Alex - with regards to my paddling ability, i have paddled a few times but i get uneasy on grade 2 water and whether or not i capsize would be in the hands of the gods! Happy to gain more experience though but need a boat first :mrgreen: I can't roll - yet, started taking pool sessions a couple of years ago but they ended and so did my progress. I get the whole concept but consistently fail to flick my hips... Something i seem incapable of grasping.

Phil - thats really good to know, most of my climbing has been done in Wales however i can, on the odd occasion, be spotted at DCC or even Newton Aycliffe, but not having a regular partner put stop to that whilst at home in the North East. I'm a very keen lead climber so would love to experience other venues around the north with people of similar interest.

I shall have to pop along to the pub to catch up when i'm home - it would be good to meet a few guys and 'get my foot in the door' - so to speak.

Would love to get on some trips away, for the skills amongst other things :)