Interested in joining/Mountain Biking

This is the place to introduce yourself to the club online and ask any questions about where to start.
This forum is open to guests.

Moderator: Committee Member

mikec
Committee Member
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 7

Interested in joining/Mountain Biking

Post by mikec »

Hi,

I'm thinking of the joining the club - I live in Durham, in fact only round the corner from the Tap & Spile (of which I visit fairly regularly anyway!!). Interested in mountain biking, walking/scrambling, skiing. Have also just started to learn to climb on indoor walls at Sunderland & Aycliffe in the last few months. I will hopefully get along to the next pub meet in Oct.

I was however, wondering about coming along to mountain biking on Thurs 13th Sep - which routes do you do at Hamsterley, and what sort of time would you meet at?

Thanks,
Michael
Wendy Lynch
Ex Member
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 1

Re: Interested in joining/Mountain Biking

Post by Wendy Lynch »

Hi Mike

I'll ask Badger to get in touch with you about Thursday nights bike ride.

There's definitely loads of things for you to do in the club.

We will be indoor climbing in 2 weeks time.

Wendy
Badger
Paid Member
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 4

Post by Badger »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Thursday will either be Hamsterley or we will start from Durham (Framwellgate), keep an eye on the forum on Thursday for conformation. My preference is always Hamsterley ;)

If we do go to Hamsterley we tend to do a combination of the red and black, taking in Special K, Pikes Teeth, Star Wars (avoiding 666) and then Transmission, Accelerator, Nitrus and upto Section 13 - if you are not familiar with these, suggest 10 minutes on You Tube.

If we ride Durham, it will be old railways tracks and surrounding woods, phil usually leads these routes.

if you send me a PM with your mobile I can also text you on Thursday,

Welcome and see you soon :)

Badger
Thanks
mikec
Committee Member

Post by mikec »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I'm familiar with the red routes at Hamsterley though not tried the blacks yet (Star Wars, Special K, Pikes Teeth). I see you are planning on meeting at 7:30pm - never tried MTB in the dark! I am hoping to get hold of some lights by tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to join you. I will send you my mobile no via PM.

cheers,
Michael
Badger
Paid Member

Post by Badger »

Mike,

There is nothing on the black bits that are significantly harder than transmission or section 13, just more natural and tree-root-y, and not as flowing.

I have you mobile number, I will send you a text so you have mine, please text back so I know you have it, and I'll see you at the car park :)

Badger
Thanks
mikec
Committee Member

Post by mikec »

Hi,

Just wanted to check that you are meeting at the car park by the descend Hamsterley cabin /start of section 13, or is the one down by visitors centre?

Cheers,
Michael
Badger
Paid Member

Post by Badger »

Main car park or by the layby following the below directions:

If approaching from hamsterley village, do NOT turn right after the pub (as if you were going to the main entrance) but keep going, the road goes round a few 90 degree bends and you will see another Hamsterley Forest sign - turn fight by the and there is a larger layby on the right after half a mile or so, there's room for appx. 6 - 8 cars, this is free for sure, in the main car park you are supposed to pay.

This is also 5 mins ride from the main car park, so we can meet you in the main car park if you like?

Badger
Thanks