re-introducing myself

This is the place to introduce yourself to the club online and ask any questions about where to start.
This forum is open to guests.

Moderator: Committee Member

macindurham
Registered Guest
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 2

re-introducing myself

Post by macindurham »

Hi.
This is the first time I've been here in over two years and i turned up once in 2010 at your club meet (which happened to be an AGM night so didn't stay long).

Unfortunately the last couple of years have been a bit of a nightmare as I lost my job and been unable to get a job since....so things not been very good.

I'm 47.

I used to do quite alot of hill walking and enjoyed navigation skills, had quite alot of experience in white water kayaking and some experience in rock climbing and particularly abseiling...but that's a long time ago now.

I'm nowhere near as fit as I used to be and combining that with being unemployed and cash strapped it's hard to get out and about, let alone buying all the right gear, re-training lost skills etc.

Plus, I'm looking to make some new friends with like minded people and get out and about a bit more, since all of my past mates live far and wide.

I'm re-aiming to be self sufficient by the way....buying bits of gear here and there so i don't expect or look to be carried by others. I like my own independance too much.

I'm looking to start off slowly again with some light to moderate hill walking and navigation practice and put up a tent, get some bushcraft skills going maybe, but generally just enjoy some scenery and freedom again.

Happy to muck in with the costs of fuel etc if anyone's planning on some localish trips and can take an extra passenger.

I'll pop along to the club night this tuesday or next and join up, tip my hat again.

I haven't got alot of gear at the moment but I've got the following:

Intex Seahawk 3-man Inflatable dinghy, oars and buoyancy jacket
2-man dome tent and two sleeping bags
1.4m x 3m camo Tarp
Day sack and 50L rucksack
Walking boots
Compass and emergency whistle
Your average mountain bike
A few bushcraft/survival items (machete, skinning knife, saw and emergency cooking stove)

I've got a car too.

Hope to get acquainted with a few of you soon.

Mac
jimbo
Paid Member
How Did You Hear About the Club?: 0

Re: re-introducing myself

Post by jimbo »

Hi mac,

the first Tuesday of the month will be our pub night so come along and get aquainted with the group.

I wouldn't worry too much about your kit - it seems you've got more than enough to get started :-)

chris.